This is guide, howto install latest Eclipse Mars.2 4.5.2 on Fedora, CentOS and Red Hat (RHEL). This guide should work with Fedora 24/23/22/21/20/19/18/17/16/15/14/13/12, CentOS 7.2/6.8/5.11 and Red Hat (RHEL) 7.2/6.8/5.11 and even with earlier versions. Latest working version on CentOS/RHEL 5.11 is Eclipse Luna 4.4.2. Eclipse is a multi-language software development environment comprising an integrated development environment (IDE) and an extensible plug-in system. It is written primarily in Java and can be used to develop applications in Java and, by means of various plug-ins, other languages including C, C++, COBOL, Python, Perl, PHP, Scala and Ruby (including Ruby on Rails...

172 comments on “Install Eclipse Mars 4.5 on Fedora 24/23, CentOS/RHEL 7.2/6.8/5.11 - Comment Page: 3

1 2 3 4 5 7
    1. To Jacob who was wondering why to do this instead of yum. I think the main reason, in addition to the multiple instances referred to above, is that for people on some versions of Linux, the repositories are very limited in terms of version number. You might critically need a function that only exists in 3.7, and can’t be found in 3.2. On Centos, the only version available is 3.2.1. This way I can get version 3.7.

2. To be clear, on this instruction:

## Open eclipse file with your favourite editor ##
      nano -w /usr/bin/eclipse

## Paste following content to file ##
      #!/bin/sh
      export ECLIPSE_HOME=”/opt/eclipse”

$ECLIPSE_HOME/eclipse $*

The file nano -w /usr/bin/eclipse is mostly binary from what I can tell. You want us anyhow to past the following into that file?
      #!/bin/sh
      export ECLIPSE_HOME=”/opt/eclipse”

and the third line as well after a carriage return? I wasn’t 100% sure if the 3rd line was just for Bash or for the file, I put it into the file, but the process isn’t working for me. When I start Eclipse it just thinks for a while and then does nothing.

3. Got it to work. I don’t know why but touch creates a file with 82 binary lines. I ran:

rm eclipse
      echo “hey” >> eclipse
      nano eclipse [then delete ‘hey’ and add the lines you put above]
      chmod 755 /usr/bin/eclipse

then all is good! I have no idea what that other junk was or what the deal with it is.

• Hi anon,

This sounds very strange.

You could also use just nano or any editor to create empty file. :)

4. Your are a hero man! A HERO

5. Great tutorial…thanx a ton….
      but want to point out one thing that i got confused whether “$ECLIPSE_HOME /eclipse $*” had to be included in the text file or not..but later figured out that it has to be included…..

• Hi Harshit,

Nice to hear that you got it working! :)

And yes I see your point and yes full /usr/bin/eclipse file content should be:

#!/bin/sh
        export ECLIPSE_HOME="/opt/eclipse"

$ECLIPSE_HOME/eclipse $*

6. Hello Friends,

Seems like installing eclipse on RedHat 5 64bit remains a dream for me. I am struggling it from long time. This post gave me some hope. I follow the steps and could able to install it on RHEL5. Here are the list of issues after that
      ISSUE 1: No desktop shortcu
      ISSUE 2: Not able to launch from console
      ISSUE 3: Application->programming->Eclipse, no UI shows up after a long wait, seems it crashed here.

I am using a VMWare virutal machine.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
      Anshul
      [mail removed]

• on launching from console error reported is though running as “root”

/usr/bin/eclipse: line 5: /opt/eclipse/eclipse: Permission denied

and, ls -la /opt/eclipse

[[email protected] eclipse]# ls -la
        total 704
        dr–r–r– 9 100 users 4096 Sep 16 07:27 .
        drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Oct 12 14:42 ..
        dr–r–r– 2 100 users 4096 Sep 16 07:26 about_files
        dr–r–r– 5 100 users 4096 Sep 16 07:26 p2
        dr–r–r– 10 100 users 28672 Sep 16 07:26 plugins
        dr–r–r– 2 100 users 4096 Sep 16 07:26 readme

• Hi Anshul,

Try to following (as root):

chmod 755 /opt/eclipse/eclipse

And then try to start with following command as normal user:

/opt/eclipse/eclipse

7. Thank you very much. I very appreciate it.

8. Hi
      I installed as per the instructions mentioned on your site.Everything installed fine.But when i run eclipse,even my hello world program doesn’t run.The console is always showing
      No consoles to display at this time.

I had also installed Netbeans which works absolutely fine.What could be the issue?

• Hi Nipun,

If it’s not working automatically then try following:

1. Click your project right mouse button
        2. Select Run As > Run Configurations…
        3. Create new run configuration for your application
        4. Check Common tab and Standard Input and Output section.
        5. Enable Allocate console (necessary for input)

Then another way is start eclipse from command line and check do get any errors when you try to run eclipse?

9. My Goodness, I spent hours and hours trying to edit with gedit and Vim…. So stupid, knowing they were binary anyway….
      Thanx a whole lot man, You’re an angel from Above

10. Thanks! Really Helpful.

11. i didn´t get Eclipse launcher in my desktop. i created the file eclipse.desktop using nano editor and copied the configuration and pressed Ctrl+O and then exited.

For me other modes are working like thru command line; Applications->Programming->Eclipse.

• Hi hajo,

You shouldn’t get launcher on your desktop, this means just desktop launcher on your Applications->Programming->Eclipse menu. If you want launcher on desktop then you have to click menu icon with right button and select “add launcher to desktop” or something like that. This is not even possible on Gnome 3 (3.0 and 3.2), but if you have some other desktop or example Gnome 2 then you can add launcher to desktop.

• hi JR,
          thanks great blog and nice support.
          It worked.

12. carry thanks !! you helped me

13. after doing the above, I get:

error while loading shared libraries: libjli.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

any ideas?

• Hi Winston,

So, what command you are running when you get this error message?

Could you post output of following command:

java -version

14. A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK)
      must be available in order to run Eclipse. No Java virtual machine
      was found after searching the following locations:
      /opt/eclipse/jre/bin/java
      java in your current PATH

when i gave the command eclipse i have got the reply above plz help me

• Hi deepthi,

Do you have Java installed?

Could you post output of following command: