This is guide, howto install latest Eclipse Mars.2 4.5.2 on Fedora, CentOS and Red Hat (RHEL). This guide should work with Fedora 24/23/22/21/20/19/18/17/16/15/14/13/12, CentOS 7.2/6.8/5.11 and Red Hat (RHEL) 7.2/6.8/5.11 and even with earlier versions. Latest working version on CentOS/RHEL 5.11 is Eclipse Luna 4.4.2. Eclipse is a multi-language software development environment comprising an integrated development environment (IDE) and an extensible plug-in system. It is written primarily in Java and can be used to develop applications in Java and, by means of various plug-ins, other languages including C, C++, COBOL, Python, Perl, PHP, Scala and Ruby (including Ruby on Rails...

172 comments on “Install Eclipse Mars 4.5 on Fedora 24/23, CentOS/RHEL 7.2/6.8/5.11 - Comment Page: 5

1 3 4 5 6 7
    1. This is a good post, I’m little bit trouble in nano. If you are trouble with it, use vim editor
      vi /usr/bin/eclipse
      vi /usr/share/applications/eclipse.desktop

Thanks

2. I did all the above but the icon didn’t show on desktop or through the menu of programs , any way, when i type “eclipse” in terminal it works fine, my question is ; how do you remove it !? I tried using add/delete software but it’s not seeing it as a package,I tried “yum remove eclipse” but it’s not seeing it, please help, thank you

• hi..

TO RUN:
        check the paths you had given for “Exec” and “Icon” fields in your desktop launcher file(eclipse.desktop).

TO REMOVE:
        if you have followed the above steps only to install then in order to remove eclipse, simply remove the directory of eclipse.

3. Thank you very much for the tips! I was able to install Eclipse on CentOS effortlessly.

4. tar -xvzf should be tar xvzf

• Hi jintux,

Why it should be without dash? It’s exactly same command. Some versions of tar even may require a dash before the option string.

5. Thanks, Eclipse Juno is latest now.

6. help me

i got following error

could not execute “/opt/eclipse/eclipse” binary file

then what i have to do

• Hi paramesh,

Did you tried it as normal user or root?

Could you post output of following command:

ls -la /opt/eclipse

7. Thanks so much! Works great for me! I’m using Fedora 16 with Eclipse JRE (Juno) 4.2.

8. @betaroot and @Dave D

Thanks, I updated guide to latest Eclipse 4.2 Juno. :)

9. i got following error
      could not execute “/opt/eclipse/eclipse” binary file

i have tried as root user
      the out put of
      ls -la /opt/eclipse is as follows

[[email protected] bin]# ls -la /opt/eclipse
      total 864
      drwxr-xr-x 9 507 1109 4096 Feb 8 23:20 .
      drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jul 6 10:16 ..
      drwxr-xr-x 2 507 1109 4096 Feb 8 23:20 about_files
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 507 1109 335360 Feb 8 19:24 libcairo-swt.so
      -rw-r–r– 1 507 1109 8951 Feb 8 19:06 notice.html
      drwxr-xr-x 4 507 1109 4096 Feb 8 23:19 p2
      drwxr-xr-x 35 507 1109 155648 Feb 8 23:20 plugins
      drwxr-xr-x 2 507 1109 4096 Feb 8 23:20 readme
      [[email protected] bin]#

• Could you also post output of following command:

java -version

Did you change /opt/eclipse/eclipse permissions?

10. Juno Eclipse does not work well with JDK 7, but with JDK6, I suggest first checking the JDK version you have, necessarily LibreOffice uses JDK 7 and so far both can not operate in the same fedora XD¡¡¡ , I hope this review helps.

11. Awesome thanks for the blog…….. I could successfully install Eclipse Juno 4.2

12. Hi! I installed Eclipse on Fedora 17 following your guide and it ran fine until today, the executable refused to luanch from the desktop icon or from the terminal so I ran chmod 775 it, and then ran it from the terminal. I was then bombared with these messages:

/usr/bin/eclipse: line 3864: conservatizing: command not found
      /usr/bin/eclipse: line 3865: consonantize: command not found
      /usr/bin/eclipse: line 3866: consonantizes: command not found
      /usr/bin/eclipse: line 3867: constitutionalization: command not found
      /usr/bin/eclipse: line 3887: $'constitutionalizations\nconstitutionalizations\nconstitutionalize\nconstitutionalizes\ncontainerization\ncontainerize\ncontainerized\ncontainerizes\ncontainerizing\ncontemporization\ncontemporize\ncontemporized\ncontemporizes\ncontemporizing\ncontroversialize\ncontroversializes\nconundrumize\nconundrumizes\nconventionalization\nconventionalizations': command not found

After the messages finish, Ark runs…I’m not sure what happened, the only thing I did today was install AbiWord using yum. Any ideas? Thanks!

• Hi Saaraneth,

Could you post output of following commands:

java -version

ls -la /opt/eclipse

ls -la /usr/bin/eclipse

cat /usr/bin/eclipse

• Thanks so much for your help, JR! I figured it out after the cat command. I was trying to enable spellcheck in Eclipse, so I downloaded a dictionary of words, and must have accidentally overwritten /usr/bin/eclipse with the dictionary. I’ve replaced the file and everything is fine again.

• You are welcome! Excellent to hear that you got it working! :)

13. GREAT Thank you!
      The eclipse.desktop file wont work because since Fedora 17 latest Updates (6.09.12) you dont can use GNOME as category. This here works:

[Desktop Entry]