Looking Fedora 22/21 nVidia Drivers Install Guide? [inttf_post_ad1] This is guide, howto install nVidia proprietary drivers on Fedora 16 and disable Nouveau driver. This guide works with GeForce 6/7/8/9/200/300 series cards. Fedora 16 nVidia driver installation is not much different from previous Fedora versions. I have tested this guide with a couple computers, so let me know, if you have some problems. Before nVidia drivers installation Check is your nVidia card supported lspci |grep -i VGA ## Example output ## 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT215 [GeForce GT 240] (rev a2) List of Supported NVIDIA GPU Products, your card should...

494 comments on “Fedora 16 nVidia Drivers Install Guide (disable nouveau driver) - Comment Page: 8

1 6 7 8 9 10
    1. Hi JR,

Thanks for these instructions. I used them to set up my 32-bit Fedora 16 system with a GF 8400 GS card. I had to manually change grub2 to add “rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0”. All went smoothly, and the graphics work with Gnome 3.

However sometimes, parts of the screen do not redraw correctly. If I then move the window, it will redraw. Any idea why this happens?

This is the output from lspci |grep -i VGA

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a2)

This is the output from uname -a

Linux laria 3.2.5-3.fc16.i686.PAE #1 SMP Thu Feb 9 02:02:37 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

The problems all appeared after upgrading from Fedora 15 to Fedora 16. Up until then, the default Fedora driver had been sufficient for me. However on moving to Fedora 16, the default driver would not allow me to run Gnome 3.

My upgrade to Fedora 16 was not clean – a problem (apparently known) in migrating to GRUB 2 – so it may be that I have a messed up installation, and will have to just reinstall from scratch.

Any advice much welcomed.

• Hi Jeremy,

So your drivers seems to work, but that drawing problem is more difficult. One thing that came to my mind is that the your card is overheating with NVIDIA proprietary drivers. I have see sometimes overheating cause this style problems. Of course you can try to reinstall Fedora 16 from scratch, but if you use same NVIDIA proprietary drivers, then I guess that you will unfortunately see same problems.

Could you post output of following commands:

glxinfo |grep -i -e render -e opengl

lsmod |grep -e nouv -e nvidia

Does this problem exists just with some programs or with every programs?

• Hi JR,

Thanks for the suggestion about overheating. One test I can do is to try to cool the system and see if the problem reduces. Looking at the thermal settings in nvidia-settings, it reports 63C, with the temperature bar being mostly green, with just one yellow bar showing.

The output from glxinfo |grep -i -e render -e opengl is:

direct rendering: Yes
          OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
          OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8400GS/PCI/SSE2
          OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 290.10
          OpenGL shading language version string: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
          OpenGL extensions:
              GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image,
              GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering,
              GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info, GL_OES_depth24,
              GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap, GL_OES_get_program_binary, GL_OES_mapbuffer,

The output from lsmod |grep -e nouv -e nvidia is:

nvidia              10782328  40
          i2c_core               28123  1 nvidia

The problem occurs with a number of programs. It is particularly obvious when playing aisleriot – the cards just don’t redraw on a deal for example. However I also see it when running test commands in xterm – sometimes several lines of output don’t draw, or when typing a command, a character does not properly redraw.

Thanks,

Jeremy

• Your NVIDIA drivers are installed perfectly, direct rendering is on, OpenGL works and right modules are loaded so problem really might be overheating.

In fact, 63 C sounds a high temperature, of course it will depend on the card. Some of the cards are always hotter, but you could check from BIOS, if you could adjust your graphics card fan speed to higher?

2. Hi,

I followed the instructions and installed the driver. Now the system won’t boot. I’m not getting error messages, just that GUI is taking a long time to load. I take a photo of the screen if that helps.

I’m runing an Nvidia GForce 525M (for mobile) graphics card.

Thanks

3. I’m not sure if anyone before me has had this problem:

My setup is a Fedora 16 KDE-spin with a self-compiled kernel (fc16-3.2.6-3) and my graphics card is an nvidia 9600M GT.
      I followed the guide step by step, but in step 4 I only did

yum install akmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs

because that is how I understood the guide (is that correct?).

However, after the reboot in step 6 all I get is a screen, that when fully loaded looks like .

Can anyone help me or give advice?
      Thanks in advance.

• Somehow the link to my image got lost when posting.
        I put it on:
        imageshack[dot]us/photo/my-images/828/nvbootfail[dot]png

• Hi Malhelo,

Yes you are installed right packages.

Could you try to boot Fedora 16 own kernel?

Change another virtual console and please post first output of following commands, so I get some background information:

grep "EE"/var/log/Xorg.0.log

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

uname -a

lsmod |grep nvidia

lsmod |grep nouveau

lspci |grep -i VGA

• First: I was not able to switch into another virtual console, because attempting to do so only showed a blinking cursor. Instead I started the machine in runlevel 3 and ran the commands.
            I think you won’t need much of the output to see what is wrong, as there are a couple of errors in the Xorg.0.log
            Still, here’s the output of all commands:

grep "EE" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
            [ 84.209] (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
            [ 84.211] (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so: libnvidia-tls.so.290.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
            [ 84.211] (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (loader failed, 7)
            [ 84.245] (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
            [ 84.245] (EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages.
            [ 84.245] (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
            [ 84.245] (EE) No drivers available.

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

# RPM Fusion - nvidia-xorg.conf
            #
            Section "Device"
            Identifier "Videocard0"
            Driver "nvidia"
            EndSection

uname -a

Linux chaos 3.2.6-3.malhelo.fc16.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun Feb 19 21:50:20 CET 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lsmod | grep nvidia
            output empty
            lsmod | grep nouveau
            output empty
            lspci |grep -i VGA

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9600M GT] (rev a1)

• Interesting part is following error:

Could you post output of following commands:

rpm -qa \*nvidia\* |sort

ls -la /usr/lib64/nvidia

ls -la /usr/lib64/nvidia/tls

• Here’s the output. Thanks already for helping.

rpm -qa \*nvidia\* |sort

akmod-nvidia-290.10-1.fc16.4.x86_64
                nvidia-settings-1.0-13.fc16.x86_64
                nvidia-xconfig-1.0-11.fc16.x86_64
                xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-290.10-1.fc16.x86_64
                xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-290.10-1.fc16.x86_64

ls -la /usr/lib64/nvidia/

total 72900
                drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 4096 Feb 21 17:20 .
                dr-xr-xr-x. 114 root root 86016 Feb 21 17:10 ..
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 17 Feb 21 17:20 libcuda.so -> libcuda.so.290.10
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 17 Feb 21 17:20 libcuda.so.1 -> libcuda.so.290.10
                -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 8509349 Nov 17 03:12 libcuda.so.290.10
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 15 Feb 21 17:20 libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.290.10
                -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 1046608 Nov 17 03:01 libGL.so.290.10
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 20 Feb 21 17:20 libnvcuvid.so.1 -> libnvcuvid.so.290.10
                -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 2199008 Nov 17 03:49 libnvcuvid.so.290.10
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 23 Feb 21 17:20 libnvidia-cfg.so.1 -> libnvidia-cfg.so.290.10
                -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 136616 Nov 17 03:47 libnvidia-cfg.so.290.10
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 28 Feb 21 17:20 libnvidia-compiler.so.1 -> libnvidia-compiler.so.290.10
                -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 27685208 Nov 17 03:52 libnvidia-compiler.so.290.10
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 26 Feb 21 17:20 libnvidia-glcore.so -> libnvidia-glcore.so.290.10
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 26 Feb 21 17:20 libnvidia-glcore.so.1 -> libnvidia-glcore.so.290.10
                -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 34523280 Nov 17 02:59 libnvidia-glcore.so.290.10
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 22 Feb 21 17:20 libnvidia-ml.so.1 -> libnvidia-ml.so.290.10
                -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 239184 Nov 17 03:48 libnvidia-ml.so.290.10
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 23 Feb 21 17:20 libnvidia-tls.so.1 -> libnvidia-tls.so.290.10
                -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 11000 Nov 17 03:06 libnvidia-tls.so.290.10
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 18 Feb 21 17:20 libOpenCL.so.1 -> libOpenCL.so.1.0.0
                -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 21296 Nov 17 03:12 libOpenCL.so.1.0.0
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 23 Feb 21 10:59 libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1 -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.290.10
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 23 Feb 21 17:20 libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1 -> libXvMCNVIDIA.so.290.10
                -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 156632 Nov 17 02:45 libXvMCNVIDIA.so.290.10
                drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Feb 21 17:20 tls

ls -la /usr/lib64/nvidia/tls

total 20
                drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Feb 21 17:20 .
                drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 4096 Feb 21 17:20 ..
                lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 23 Feb 21 17:20 libnvidia-tls.so -> libnvidia-tls.so.290.10
                -rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 11344 Nov 17 03:06 libnvidia-tls.so.290.10

• All files found, but could you then post following output:

ldd /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so

ldd /usr/lib64/nvidia/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.290.10

• ldd /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia/libglx.so

linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff23be6000)
                    	libnvidia-tls.so.290.10 => not found
                    	libnvidia-glcore.so.290.10 => not found
                    	libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007fa7e20e5000)
                    	libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x00007fa7e1ee1000)
                    	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x0000003361e00000)

ldd /usr/lib64/nvidia/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.290.10

linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff5f1ff000)
                    	libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007fa5ef0f2000)
                    	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x0000003361e00000)

• Something broken with libglx.so, because it can’t find libnvidia-tls.so.290.10 and libnvidia-glcore.so.290.10.

I think you should try to reainstall nvidia libraries, like:

yum reinstall reinstall  xorg-x11-drv-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64

Is it working then, or could you post ldd … command output?

• xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686 was not even installed yet.
                        So first I installed that and tried to (re)boot then. No success.
                        Then I reinstalled using your command & reboot. No success.
                        I thought it might have been an SELinux issue, because the logs looked odd to me. Also, all SELinux ever did, was make my life harder. So I disabled SELinux and rebooted. No success either.

Now I reverted the whole process as described in JR’s post on November 28, 2011.
                        I guess I’ll report back when I tried the whole process again.

• Ok, first off: It’s working now.
                        The solution was pretty simple: I didn’t install the kernel-devel packages for my self-compiled kernel.
                        If anyone ever makes the same mistake, here’s how I found out / how to resolve it:

1. Boot without rhgb (basically, that means verbose). Then there was a “FAILED” entry telling to check

'systemctl status akmods.service'.

2. Reboot into init 3, and execute that command. It then showed a message that it could not find the files it needs in

/usr/src/kernels/...

and asked if I had the correct kernel-devel packages installed.
                        3. Went to my home dir and the rpmbuild sub-folder where I had my kernel compiled and

yum install kernel-devel-$(uname .r)
                        4. Manually build the akmod:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/akmods start
                        /etc/rc.d/init.d/akmods --kernel $(uname -r)

Otherwise it will most probably skip the kernel, because it failed before.

• First of all, excellent to hear that you got it working and thank you for the explanation and instructions, how you solve this problem! :) Awesome thanks!

• I also had a similar problem, and I did what Malhelo did and it also worked for me.

yum install kernel-devel-$(uname -r)
                        /etc/rc.d/init.d/akmods start

maybe it should be added to the guide, or to the Troubleshooting section of the guide.

• Hi Arthur,

Did you have this same problem with self-compiled kernel or Fedora’s own kernel?

• Fedora’s own kernel. (3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64)
                        maybe executing “yum install kernel-devel-$(uname -r)” wasn’t needed, but I did it anyway, and then I ran “/etc/rc.d/init.d/akmods start” witch probably did the trick.

• Okay. :) I have noticed something odd behavior with akmod-nvidia, maybe kmod-nvidia is currently better choice.

4. Great info.
      Used it to fix my noisy fan on the GPU card.

Thanks

5. […] driver, you'll need to disable it. On my machine, Step 5 from this page is what did the trick: http://www.if-not-true-then-false.co…ouveau-driver/ But that was Fedora, not sure about Debian The install will backup and modify your xorg.conf for […]

6. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, but I have found that sometimes there is not enough kernel memory to load the nvidia kernel module. In this case the system just hangs when trying to load X even when all of the nvidia configuration is correct.

In this situation the xorg log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) shows:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA GPU at PCI:1:0:0. Please
      (EE) NVIDIA(0): check your systm's kernel log for additional error
      (EE) NVIDIA(0): messages and refer to Chapter 8: Common Problems in the
      (EE) NVIDIA(0): README for additional information.
      (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
      (EE) Screens(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

I have a TV card installed on my machine and the combination of nvidia and that card seems to cause problems with kernel memory (this has been a problem on other systems too like my Thinkpad T410). I was able to get my machine to boot properly with nvidia by adding vmalloc=256M to end of my boot line:

To test if this is the problem edit your boot command from grub on boot, e.g.:

linux /vmlinu-3.2.7-1.fc16.i686 root=UUID=2f68b130-5fb1-4196-af45-6c44c4229863 ro rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 KEYTABLE=us quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau vmalloc=256M

To permanently add this parameter edit /etc/default/grub, e.g.:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 KEYTABLE=us quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau vmalloc=256M"

Then save and re-generate /boot/grub2/grub.cfg:

# cp /boot/grub2/grub.cfg /boot/grub2/grub.cfg.old
      # grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

• Looks like my attempt to add emphasis to the new parameter in the previous comment is making it invisible! The parameter you need to add is:

vmalloc=256M

• Thanks Josh, this is good tip! :)

I updated your comment and make vmalloc=256M visible again… ;D

7. JR and others,

I am trying to install Fedora 16 on my Dell XPS 8300 (with a Nvidia GeoForce GT420) that’s already running Windows 7.

After a lot of reading up, I could get Fedora 16 to install using the basic video mode / troubleshooting mode. After the install, GNOME wont work and I get to see this basic desktop.

I also tried installing by hitting the TAB key and appending “nouveau.modeset=0 rdblacklist=nouveau text” before the install. No respite! I saw a black screen with some “nouveau” text and the install just stalls.

Then I went to Nvidia’s website where they have some drivers listed for Linux x86_64. The file is named ‘NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-295.20.run’. Can I try installing thus driver after installing Fedora 16?

Thank you.
      Suresh

• Hi Suresh,

So can you boot to basic desktop?

Boot to runlevel 3 and get following information:

grep "EE"/var/log/Xorg.0.log

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

uname -a

lspci |grep -i VGA

• Hey JR,

Thank you for offering help.

Yes, I can boot to basic desktop. Here is the data you asked for.

[[email protected] ~]# grep “EE” /var/log/Xorg.0.log
          (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
          [ 14.559] (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER

[[email protected] ~]# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
          Section “Device”
          Identifier “Videocard0”
          Driver “vesa”
          EndSection

[[email protected] ~]# uname -a
          Linux INFINITY 3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 1 21:10:48 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[[email protected] ~]# lspci | grep -i VGA
          01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0de2 (rev a1)

Thank you.
          Suresh

• Thanks,

If you have this guide packages installed, then move/backup your xorg.conf with following command and reboot:

mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

reboot

Do you get Gnome-Shell running or do you get some other problems?

8. Worked like a charm. Graphical bootloader gone though.

9. Many thanks for this.
      lspci | grep -i VGA
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 9300M GS] (rev a1)

10. Hello Jr.

First off, I am very new to Linux. Thank you for the great guide. I am having the very same issues as mahalo but I do not have a custom kernel as I am too green to do that. My card is a GTX 460M with the latest 3.3.04.fc16.x86_64 kernel. I get the same “failed to start LSB: Builds and install new kmods from akmods packages…see systemctl status akmods.service” the next line says “failed to start LSB: Starts and stops login and scan… iSCSI devices…see systemctl status iSCSI.service ( I think I was getting this one before I tried installing the drivers so don’t think it’s relevant but included it just in case). Then the system continues to:
      Starting Display manager…
      Started Display Manager [ OK. ]
      then it freezes…..I’ve let it sit for hours see if it doing something as the hard drive light flashes periodically to no avail. My question is do you think I should attemp mahalos fix and if so, I am a ill fuzzy in step 4?
      Thanks in advance.

• Hi Rico,

First you can boot to runlevel 3. Then start akmods with following command:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/akmods start

Then you can see more info, what is happening, do you get some errors?

Another way is try to update all packages with yum update command and try to install kmod-nvidia.

11. with no modification from your info, works perfectly under Fedora 17 alpha (Beta test-candidate 1). you Rock!

• Hi deanO,

Excellent to hear that this works perfectly on Fedora 17. :)

12. You saved my night and a fresh install. Many thanks. Worked perfectly with my Quadro FX card.

• Hi Amit,

Excellent, you are very welcome! :)

13. Many thanks! Drivers work as expected unlike nouveau ones.

[[email protected] ~]$ lspci | grep -i VGA
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300] (rev a1)
      [[email protected] ~]$

• Hi skywalkie,

You are welcome! Nice to hear that you got nVidia drivers working! :)

14. I was looking for something which would make it easier to install Nvidia’s own drivers on my friends computer. Nvidia’s own script required too much hands on development knowledge for my friend. Video card is Asus GT440

uname -a

Linux SoupDuJour 3.3.0-4.fc16.i686 #1 SMP Tue Mar 20 18:45:14 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

After following your instructions and using akmod we just now have the Nividia splash screen appearing before the login screen. I’m assuming all went well. Certainly we have more available display resolutions than before.

Whether or not this upgrade to manufactures own drivers will deal with some of the intermittent corruptions of the background image on the login screen he is experiencing after using frame buffering devices, remains to be seen. We are switching between gdm3 and plasma to see which work space we like better. Its a bit of a conceptual switch – switchable full screen workspaces, rather than a cluttered “pinned” desktop, but so far so good.

Thanks for your guide, it was a great help and much easier than setting up a development box with the appropriate headers. My friend is new to linux and while I have been using Linux for many years as a desktop user I often don’t have the time to explore the edge anymore.

Regards
      Russell

15. I am having a strange problem: I can get the nvidia drivers to work by following the instructions here, and the graphics display works fine, but there are no text consoles, just a flashing cursor. Any help would be appreciated.

• Hi John,

I have heard same style no tty(s) problems with Ubuntu and nVidia, but this is the first time, when I hear the same problems with Fedora.

Let’s see what we can do, could you first post output of following command:

cat /etc/default/grub

• Sure. I added the last 2 in the last line:
          ————–
          GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
          GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=”Fedora”
          GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”rd.md=0 rd.lvm=0 rd.dm=0 KEYTABLE=us quiet SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 rhgb rd.luks=0 LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0″

• A couple of other notes:
          1) I tried switching the “rdblacklist=nouveau” to “rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau” (like one of the examples above, but the behavior is the same
          2) I tried adding “vmalloc=256M” and again no change, but
          interestingly:
          3) If I do a Ctl-Alt-F2, then log in as if there was a text console, then do a “w” it shows that I have successfully logged in on tty2. So it’s not that the consoles are not active, it’s that I can’t see them.

• Ok, I have a fix. Your clue about Ubuntu having the same problem set me searching in the right direction. From an Ubuntu forum I found that turning off Kernel Mode Setting entirely with “nomodeset” did the trick. Any idea what collateral damage I’m causing by doing this?

• Excellent to hear that you got it working! :)

Kernel Mode Setting
            Kernel Mode Setting is a feature that allows the kernel to switch resolution without reinitializing the graphics card/driver.

It is especially nice when using a framebuffer, which enables the kernel to display graphics on an otherwise text only console. This resolves the need for a separate framebuffer driver (such as the ones detailed in Framebuffer) to enable a high resolution console.

Currently, the Intel GMA, nouveau and radeon drivers support Kernel Mode Setting.

So it’s not very harmful to disable it… :)

1 6 7 8 9 10