Fedora 19 nVidia Drivers Install / Uninstall Guide - Comment Page: 2

Looking Fedora 22/21 nVidia Drivers Install Guide? [inttf_post_ad1] This is guide, howto install nVidia proprietary drivers on Fedora 19 "Schrödinger’s Cat" and disable Nouveau driver. This guide works with GeForce 6/7/8/9/200/300/400/500/600/700 series cards. Older GeForce series cards works with 304.xx nVidia drivers and newer 8/9/200/300/400/500/600/700 series cards works with 331.xx nVidia drivers. Fedora 19 nVidia driver installation is not much different from previous Fedora versions. I have tested this guide with a couple computers, so let me know, if you have some problems. 1. Before nVidia drivers installation 1.1 Check is your nVidia card...

129 comments on “Fedora 19 nVidia Drivers Install / Uninstall Guide - Comment Page: 2

1 2 3 4 6
    1. Yes I installed the patch driver, I can access Fedora using the 3.11.2-201 kernel. But I can’t start correctly the 3.11.3-201 because I don’t have the kmod package for that kernel

Do I have to uninstall the patch driver and install the akmod from the repositories? I’m not sure if it’s going to work out correctly so I still use my previous kernel.

Thanks JR.

• What if install patched version of akmod, it should build new kmod for you. I can’t myself test this, because I can’t boot any box with nVidia card now.

Using older kernel with working kmod for a while shouldn’t be a problem at all. Hopefully RPMFusion repo versions are fixed soon.

• I hit reply and it makes a new comment, If this goes as a reply it was the Firefox plugin “Self-destructing cookies” because I just deactivate it.

Anyway:
          Yesterday I have no packages to update, I open yumex today and it brings several packages to update including kmod, I hope it’s the right kmod for my newest kernel.

Any tips about enabling nouveau driver again? I change the grub and xorg.conf and no success. :(

Thanks

• Hi Mauricio,

Enabling nouveau driver again you need to remove nVidia drivers or remove nvidia configs under /etc/X11 and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.

If you still have problems, could you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log (to http://pastebin.com) after boot when nvidia driver is loaded?

2. Hi!
      I have troubles making nvidia work on Fedora 19. It just fails with (in X log):
      | Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module.
      while the kernel module IS there (seen by lsmod).
      I had looked through other log files, but have found nothing useful on the subject.
      The card is
      | VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT200 [GeForce GTX 280] (rev a1)
      I use the following rpms:
      kernel-3.11.3-201.fc19.x86_64
      kmod-nvidia-3.11.3-201.fc19.x86_64-325.15-1.fc19.2.x86_64
      xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-325.15-1.fc19.x86_64
      What do I do wrong? Or, is this just a regular bug from nvidia?

• Update: looks like the kernel module does NOT properly create device files in /dev/.
        The only (probably) nvidia related device I can see there is nvram (or is this a non-volatile ram device?).
        After I had created nvidiactl and nvidia0 device files BY HAND the X server has started quite successfully. BTW, I’d already tried disabling SElinux, that hasn’t helped. ALso I’d tried loading the nvidia kernel module both without NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles option and setting it to 1 (NVreg_ModifyDeviceFiles=1), that hack hasn’t helped either. So how can I make this ugly machineria operate correctly, i.e. automatically create the necessary character device files?

• One more addition.
          Not sure whether the user space nvidia driver (drv_nvidia.so loaded by X server) really execs nvidia-modprobe, but it looks like the latter refuses to hold its duties properly. Well it appears to load the nvidia kernel module, but it does NOT create nvidia control device files in /dev/. Neither had it been asked for them by command line options (-c|–create-nvidia-device-file) or not, nor had the kernel module already been there (in the kernel space) or not. Damned nvidia anancephals.
          Braindamaged lamers, give that bullshit videocard money back!

3. Thanks for the walkthroughs, they helped me trough my first week on Fedora (after Ubuntu and Arch).

On my system I not only have to install ‘akmod-nvidia’ and ‘xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs’, but also the packages ‘kernel-devel’ and ‘acpid’.
      Without ‘kernel-devel’ the kernel module is not compiled.
      Installing ‘acpid’ seems to help against random freezes of the desktop (the nvidia driver warns about this in Xorg.0.log when a freeze occurs)

I don’t know if this only applies to my configuration, but this helped me in case someone else experiences the same problem.

4. Hi Jr,

It doesn’t help me.
      Here is my /etc/default/grub config file:

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
      GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
      GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
      GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 vconsole.keymap=us $([ -x /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param ] && /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param || :) rd.luks=0 vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16 rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root rhgb quiet"
      GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
      GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
      GRUB_VIDEO_BACKEND="vbe"
      GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="gfxterm"
      GRUB_FONT_PATH="/boot/grub2/fonts/unicode.pf2"
      GRUB_GFXMODE="1920x1080x32"

Nothing changed after generating new grub.cfg.
      Could you please help me?

Thanks in advance!

5. Great article. Point 3 of your article “3. Uninstall nVidia proprietary drivers on Fedora 1 “Schrödinger’s Cat” and enable the nouveau driver” it says “Fedora 1” it should say Fedora 19. I just wanted to point that out.

• Thanks Mark, I fixed it.

6. Hate the text console on tty with 640×480 resolution in grub in fedora?

Get the bootsplash or plymouth working in fedora 19/20 (i’m on 20) and my gpu is nvidia 650 ti boostm, my viewsonic monitor has 1440×900 resolution; here’s how to get nvidia binary to have 1440×900 resolution in TTY:

1st:
      install the xorg*nvidia from rpmfusion (as desribed above) and copy the /etc/default/grub to say ~/grub.backup

2nd:
      edit the /etc/default/grub file

a) add ” nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off” after rhgb quiet in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= “…. rhgb quiet ”

b) change GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text to GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

c) add “#” to GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=”console” to make it #GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=”console” or delete the line GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=”console” line itself

d) specify your preferred graphics resolution i.e., #GRUB_GFXMODE=1440×900 if you don’t know run this command “xrandr|grep ‘*'”, e.g., GRUB_GFXMODE=1440x900x32

save the file

here’s my /etc/default/grub

GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
      GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
      GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
      GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
      #GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=fedora/swap vconsole.font=latarcyrheb-sun16 rd.lvm.lv=fedora/root vconsole.keymap=us $([ -x /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param ] && /usr/sbin/rhcrashkernel-param || :) rhgb quiet nouveau.modeset=0 rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau video=vesa:off"
      GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
      #GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
      #added by rizvan also comment above

#GRUB_GFXMODE=1440x900x32
      # use the above if error
      #this will get the screen resolution using xrandr
      GRUB_GFXMODE=$(xrandr |grep '*'|sed 's/^ *//g'|cut -f1 -d ' ')

GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep
      #added by rizvan
      #GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text

3rd:
      now let’s update the grub configuraion file
      sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

that’s all now reboot and enjoy bootsplash with nvidia binary driver on fedora

7. I did all three steps, but it did not work. I stopped at step 2, and did not uninstall, everything works great now. Am I missing something?

• Hi Brian,

Third step is just uninstalling nVidia drivers, so if you want install drivers, then use just step 1. and 2., maybe I should make it more clear and remove that 3. from uninstalling part?

8. This not work! broken my fedora core 19 KDE Spin… :(

9. I just wanted to add a note that for EFI booting systems, the grub locations are different.

[[email protected] fedora]# pwd
      /boot/efi/EFI/fedora
      [[email protected] fedora]# ls -l
      total 5684
      drwx------. 2 root root 4096 Nov 3 02:39 fonts
      -rwx------. 1 root root 931176 Aug 10 16:48 gcdx64.efi
      -rwx------. 1 root root 5442 Nov 3 23:13 grub.cfg
      -rwx------. 1 root root 8937 Nov 3 23:12 grub.cfg.bak
      -rwx------. 1 root root 931176 Aug 10 16:48 grubx64.efi
      -rwx------. 1 root root 1189220 Dec 12 2012 MokManager.efi
      -rwx------. 1 root root 1371224 May 31 18:38 shim.efi
      -rwx------. 1 root root 1362696 May 31 18:38 shim-fedora.efi

10. Using the method here, but my Fedora install nvidia drivers will not boot.
      Is not the step you are missing?
      mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)-nouveau.img
      dracut /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)

• Hi Seungwoo Kwon,

Actually not, because generating an initramfs shouldn’t be necessary anymore.

Do you get nVidia drivers working on your system?

11. The nvidia driver and install it on my system, but only occurs in the boot process.
      For reference, my system uses the KDE desktop environment.

• Hi,

Could you post output of following commands after boot:

lsmod |grep -e nvidia -e nouveau

rpm -qa kernel\* \*nvidia\* |sort -V

uname -a

12. !!Warning Dell D630 Laptop Nvidia Users!!

If you are attempting to do this on a Dell D630 running the nv135m chipset, do not attempt this install. It will bork you installation! The issue is that the system will hang on bootup so you will have to issue a (E) on the grub boot loader and select the line with vmlinux. The at the end of the line add the number “3” and log in as root then proceed with the uninstall.

It seems that this does cause the Xorg config to lose some of its settings so you might have to re-write it manually. Otherwise you will no longer have desktop effects and you also will not have the correct monitor resolution.

• Hi Benand,

Looks like your chipset is supported by nVidia latest drivers, so I guess that it’s possible to get nVidia drivers working on your system. If you could post some extra info, then it’s much easier to try to solve your problem. Example /var/log/Xorg.0.log could tell something after boot with nVidia driver.

13. It seems that the chipset is already a part of the NOUVEAU configuration as it states the following in the xorg.0.log.

[ 170.445] (II) Module “dri2” already built-in
      [ 170.445] (–) NOUVEAU(0): Chipset: “NVIDIA NV86”
      [ 170.445] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section

[email protected]:#> lspci |grep -i VGA
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G86M [Quadro NVS 135M] (rev a1)

The last time I tried the install I was not able to revert the change without a re-install as it seems that things got wiped out. The other issue is that it was fighting me when I was trying to install the nvidia driver in init 3. Typically when I have done this install in the past, I would go into init3, check for x-server or xorg, if present kill the PIDs and then start the install. Unfortunately, when I tried this here, I got an error stating that nouveau was still in use or could not be disabled and the compile process failed.

I am not sure if the KDE-Spin could be part of the issue however here is my system in formation;

Linux Poseidon.Olympus 3.11.7-200.fc19.i686 #1 SMP Mon Nov 4 14:32:57 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

[email protected]:#> lsmod | grep video
      video 18595 1 nouveau

Tue Nov 12 22:39:44 CST 2013
      [email protected]:#> dmidecode | grep -a1 -B5 Quadro

Handle 0x0A00, DMI type 10, 6 bytes
      On Board Device Information
      Type: Video
      Status: Enabled
      Description: Quadro NVS 135M

Please feel free to let me know if you want any additional output. I am a little hesitant to make changes again as I just got done rebuilding the OS 2 times now from some failed source compiles.

14. I just tried it again and I am currently in an init 3 state as the GUI will not load or the system hangs on boot.

[ 44.996] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module 173.14.38 Wed Aug 28 14:00:00 PDT 2013
      [ 44.996] Loading extension GLX
      [ 44.996] (II) LoadModule: “nvidia”
      [ 44.996] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
      [ 44.997] (II) Module nvidia: vendor=”NVIDIA Corporation”
      [ 44.997] compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
      [ 44.997] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
      [ 44.997] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 173.14.38 Wed Aug 28 13:48:49 PDT 2013
      [ 44.997] (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
      [ 44.997] (++) using VT number 1

[ 44.998] (II) Loading sub module “fb”
      [ 44.998] (II) LoadModule: “fb”
      [ 44.999] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
      [ 44.999] (II) Module fb: vendor=”X.Org Foundation”
      [ 44.999] compiled for 1.14.3, module version = 1.0.0
      [ 44.999] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
      [ 44.999] (II) Loading sub module “wfb”
      [ 44.999] (II) LoadModule: “wfb”
      [ 44.999] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so
      [ 44.999] (II) Module wfb: vendor=”X.Org Foundation”
      [ 44.999] compiled for 1.14.3, module version = 1.0.0
      [ 44.999] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
      [ 44.999] (II) Loading sub module “ramdac”
      [ 44.999] (II) LoadModule: “ramdac”
      [ 44.999] (II) Module “ramdac” already built-in
      [ 45.000] (II) NVIDIA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
      “Default Screen Section” for depth/fbbpp 24/32
      [ 45.000] (==) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (==) framebuffer bpp 32
      [ 45.000] (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
      [ 45.000] (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
      [ 45.000] (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
      [ 45.000] (**) NVIDIA(0): Option “AddARGBGLXVisuals” “true”
      [ 45.000] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
      [ 45.000] (II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
      [ 45.000] (II) NVIDIA(0): enabled.
      [ 45.002] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
      [ 45.002] (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
      [ 45.002] (II) UnloadModule: “nvidia”
      [ 45.002] (II) UnloadSubModule: “wfb”
      [ 45.002] (II) UnloadSubModule: “fb”
      [ 45.002] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
      [ 45.002] (EE)
      Fatal server error:
      [ 45.002] (EE) no screens found(EE)
      [ 45.002] (EE)
      Please consult the Fedora Project support
      at http://wiki.x.org
      for help.
      [ 45.002] (EE) Please also check the log file at “/var/log/Xorg.0.log” for additional information.
      [ 45.002] (EE)
      [ 45.003] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.

• Hi Benand1985,

Sorry for the late reply.

Looks like, the NVIDIA kernel module failed to load, could you try load nvidia module manually:

rmmod nouveau

modprobe nvidia

Then post errors here.

15. Hi I have some trouble with the installation of the drivers. I followed all the steps but my computer doesn’t start. I have this kind of messages in a black display:

[ OK ] Started Sendmail Mail Transport Agent…

But the computer doesn’t anything. Can you help me please?
      I installed the kmod option in the Kernel Linux 3.11.7-200.fc19.x86_64

Tupac

• Hi Tupac,

Could you change another virtual console (ALT+F2 or CTRL+ALT+F2) and post output of following command:

uname -a