If Not True Then False

Fedora 25/24/23 nVidia Drivers Install Guide - Comment Page: 34

This is guide, howto install nVidia proprietary drivers on Fedora 25/24/23/22/21 and disable Nouveau driver. This guide works with GeForce 6/7/8/9/200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/10 series cards. GeForce 400/500/600/700/800/900/10 series cards works with 375.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 8/9/200/300 series cards works with 340.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 6/7 series cards works with 304.xx nVidia...
Categories:
Tagged with:

1062 Comments

Input your comment.
help

Input your name.

Alexandre

Thanks you, worked well for me ! (Fedora 25 and GT740)

# nvidia-installer -v |grep version
nvidia-installer: version 375.20 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-06)

# uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 4.8.10-300.fc25.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 21 18:59:16 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# lspci |grep -i VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce GT 740] (rev a1)

Mike Landis

Doubtless that this is the most comprehensive and accurate post on this subject; your efforts are very much appreciated. That said, it’s not quite working for me for a few reasons…

1) I’m uncomfortable removing nouveau entirely. What’s the harm of having it around for emergencies? [I didn’t adhere to your process on that step.]

2) Likewise re: mapping xorg-x11 out of dnf. Can that really hurt? [Another suggested step that I sidestepped.]

3) I found that the grub2-mkconfig step wiped out extra boot options created in /etc/grub2/grub.cfg, so I subsequently backed that out too.

I’d appreciate any suggestions on things to investigate or possible workarounds.

JR

Hello Mike and thanks,

You can of course use this guide as you wish.

1) Actually you can just reinstall nouveau if you really need it. If you boot example single user mode, then nouveau doesn’t help you. If you are runlevel 3, then you can install it.

2) First, if you are running Fedora 24, then you have Xorg 1.18 installed and second if you use nVidia 375.20, it supports Xorg 1.19 so you don’t have to exclude xorg-x11 packages.

3) grub2-mkconfig step just write out /boot/grub2/grub.cfg or /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg so I can’t see why it would write anything to /etc/grub2/grub.cfg?

One important question is, could you boot normally with your nVidia 1070 card with default Fedora and nouveau?

jmarunix

Hi Mike,

You say:
“Given the foregoing departures from recommended process … it’s not working on my Fedora 24 machine running either 4.8.10-200 or 4.5.5-300 kernels. After creating nouveau disabled configurations, shutting down, removing a radeon graphics card, inserting an nVidia 1070 board, and rebooting into a nouveau disabled configuration, my system hangs before offering a login prompt, so I never get the opportunity to run the 375.20 installer with an nVidia card in the slot.”

With your prerequisites, I would try your config in diferent order,
1) Enable the nouveau driver.
If the system boots normally(graphical. target), your desktop daemon(gdm, kde, etc) will try to run your X server and your graphic config, but, if you disable it… I think for that reason your system hangs.
2) Insert your Nvidia card and reboot.
3) Maybe, in F24, the desktop enviroment doesn`t load properly because the nouveau driver version, in any case, you can do a Ctrl+Alt+F3, reboot in runlevel 3(multi-user.target), and at this moment, disable nouveau and install the nvidia driver, and again, reboot in runlevel 5(graphical.target).

good luck.

Federico

nvidia-installer -v |grep version
nvidia-installer: version 375.20 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-06) Tue Nov 15 17:49:56 PST 2016
uname -a
Linux portchicco.chim.unifi.it 4.8.10-300.fc25.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 21 18:59:16 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
lspci |grep -i VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M] (rev a1)

It works like a charm. Many thanks!

Joris

$ nvidia-installer -v |grep version
nvidia-installer: version 375.20

$ uname -a

$ lspci | grep -i VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 650M] (rev a1)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 650M] (rev a1)

JimR

Got Kernel 4.8.8 to work on FC24 after a false start of inadvertently installing 304.132. Found 340.96-patched worked fine.

nvidia-installer: version 340.96 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-05) Sun Nov 8 22:50:33 PST 2015
Linux KD1YV3 4.8.8-200.fc24.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Nov 15 19:41:51 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

JR

Hi yonmoon,

Thanks for reporting. You are right. I just tested it on clean installed Fedora 25 and Plymouth restore doesn’t work. I have to do some testing and check what is changed.

pixeldream

I could install the driver for fedora25

but I had a problem that is not able to boot in runlevel 3
…if anyone stack in here , use ssh from another computer and install the driver
I could solved by this

thankyou

Chris

Thank you for the great HOWTO. Installed 375.20 on Fedora 25. Currently running on 4.8.11-300.fc25.x86_64 GeGorce GTX 1060 6GB.

Only issue is that every time i dnf update I have to reinstall the drivers even though I registered with DKMS. Linux noob. Any suggestions?

JR

Hi Chris,

Could you post more info what you have updated with dnf?

Use following commands to find out latest updates:

dnf history

dnf history info
Alonso

Worked like a charm!

Linux D2015409l 4.8.11-300.fc25.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 28 18:24:51 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 720] (rev a1)

Z

At step “3. Apply Patch to nVidia Installer”

patch: *** Can’t reopen file NVIDIA-Linux-x86…/kernel/nv-linux.h : No such file or directory
Indeed there is a nv-linux.h.orig file there instead of nv-linux.h

If I rename the orig to the nv-linux.h it still does not work.
If I apply the patch to the *.orig that does not work either.

I get:
Error Hunk #1 FAILED at 256 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED — saving rejects to file NVIDIA-Linux…/kernel/nv-linux.h.orig.rejError Hunk #1 FAILED at 256 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED — saving rejects to file NVIDIA-Linux…/kernel/nv-linux.h.orig.rej

What shall I do?

JR

Hello Z,

What drivers you try to patch and why?

If 304.132, then you can download it using following command:

wget http://rpms.if-not-true-then-false.com/nvidia/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.132-patched.run
Douglas

Worked at first try.

$ nvidia-installer -v |grep version
nvidia-installer: version 375.20 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-06)

$ uname -a
Linux localhost.fedora 4.8.11-300.fc25.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Nov 28 18:24:51 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ lspci |grep -i VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)

A Fan

Could you tell me how to use “nvidia-installer –update”
Can this be safely executed from a root shell, or should x-server be disabled?
In other words same steps as installing nvidia drivers for the 1st time.

Thanks.

yonmoon

The installation is correct and the driver works well,but plymouth theme doesn’t work,it is still shows KDE LOGO

yonmoon

I have a nvidia Gts250Video card.I have install nvidia’s graphic driver by this way,but in some situations,the ESC seems work bad.

JR

Hi A Fan,

You have to boot runlevel 3 and then run nvidia-installer --update, because it installs new driver if available. So when you really want to update your nVidia drivers, then you have to disable x-server.

But you don’t have to do same steps when you install drivers first time, just boot to runlevel 3, update, and boot back to runlevel 5.

Otto J. Mäkelä

Thanks for the very clear instructions!

They worked fine for the combo of AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-Core motherboard, old GeForce GTX 280, nvidia-340.98 and Fedora 25.

The only weird issue I’ve had is that in spite of the exclude=xorg-x11* in the /etc/dnf/dnf.conf file, something keeps upgrading the xorg-x11-server-Xorg* files to f25 level which will of course then fail.

I’m currently testing if the cause of the problems is /etc/yum.conf which is still there for use with the yum libraries which may be called from Python scripts, like yum-cron. I’ve now added the same exclude statement also there, let’s see if this helps.

Airbete

Linux orval.alcools 4.8.12-200.fc24.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 2 18:45:50 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] (rev a1)

I followed the instructions and everything seems to be working but a few things…

1) If i play a video with mplayer, ffplay or vlc, they all crash!
ffplay and mplayer return this error:
X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
In /var/log/Xorg.0.log I see
[ 123.866] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Video buffer DMA allocation failed
[ 123.883] (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to map the command buffer
If I switch to x11 video ouput (mplayer -vo x11 file) then the video plays correctly. xv and vdpau (default) are not working.

2) glxgears doesn’t return any errors, but the window is completely black (no turning gears). Printed framerate is around 86 fps which doesn’t correspond to the vertical refresh rate of the monitor (60).

3) systemsettings5 (kde settings) freezes when I go to the “display and monitor” tab. Kde lockscreen doesn’t work either (have to go to a pseudo-terminal to unlock with loginctl). I’m not sure if these are related to the current issue, but they appeared at the same time as I installed the nvidia drivers.

Other info:
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.18.4-5.fc24.x86_64
mesa-dri-drivers-12.0.3-2.fc24.x86_64
plasma-desktop-5.8.4-1.fc24.x86_64 (desktop is KDE)

Any idea what’s going wrong?

Thanks