Fedora 28/27/26 nVidia Drivers Install Guide - Comment Page: 56

This is guide, howto install nVidia proprietary drivers on Fedora 28/27/26/25/24/23/22/21 and disable Nouveau driver. This guide works with GeForce 6/7/8/9/200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/10 series cards. GeForce 400/500/600/700/800/900/10 series cards works with 390.xx and 396.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 8/9/200/300 series cards works with 340.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 6/7 series cards works with 304.xx nVidia drivers This is totally different guide than my earlier guides, like Fedora 20 nVidia driver install. This guide uses nVidia drivers directly from nVidia site and dkms to help on kernel updates. Have to say that I have had and heard strange problems with different repos...

1,841 comments on “Fedora 28/27/26 nVidia Drivers Install Guide - Comment Page: 56

1 54 55 56 57 58 70
    1. nvidia-installer -v |grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 387.34 ([email protected])
      uname -a
      Linux msi 4.14.5-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 11 16:00:36 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      lspci | grep -E “VGA|3D”
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104M [GeForce GTX 1070 Mobile] (rev a1)

2. nvidia-installer: version 387.34 ([email protected])

Linux zen 4.14.6-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Dec 14 15:31:24 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 610] (rev a1)

3. # nvidia-installer -v |grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 387.34 ([email protected])

# uname -a
      Linux alopex 4.14.6-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Dec 14 15:31:24 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# lspci |grep -E “VGA|3D”
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] (rev a1)

4. nvidia-installer: version 384.98 ([email protected]) Thu Oct 26 15:56:19 PDT 2017

Fedora 4.14.6-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Dec 14 15:31:24 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

0b:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 (rev a1)

Thanks a lot for this post. I was facing various problems. All of them disappeared after disabeling secure boot.

5. Have done all steps with seemingly no errors but get

No protocol specified

** (nvidia-settings:2941): WARNING **: Could not open X display

ERROR: Unable to find display on any available system

when i try “nvidia-settings”
      And the system specs still point to my motherbord grapichscard.

• More info

nvidia-installer: version 384.98 ([email protected])

Linux da-laptop 4.13.9-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Oct 23 13:41:58 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
        01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 960M] (rev a2)

6. $ nvidia-installer -v |grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 384.98 ([email protected])

$ uname -a
      Linux localhost.localdomain 4.14.7-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 18 16:06:12 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ lspci |grep -E “VGA|3D”

7. nvidia-installer: version 387.34 ([email protected])
      Linux Raptor 4.14.8-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Dec 20 19:00:18 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 660] (rev a1)

8. Fedora 27, GTX 1050, Nvidia driver 387.34

I couldn’t find –update option from nvidia-installer.

• Hi Shin,

You are totally right there is not nvidia-installer --update option anymore. I updated this guide. Thanks.

9. [[email protected] ~]$ nvidia-installer -v |grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 384.98 ([email protected])
      [[email protected] ~]$ uname -a
      Linux localhost.localdomain 4.14.8-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Dec 20 19:00:18 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      [[email protected] ~]$ lspci |grep -E “VGA|3D”
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF116M [GeForce GT 555M/635M] (rev a1)

10. success, but brightness issues as usual on lenovo laptops.
      $ nvidia-installer -v |grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 387.34 ([email protected]) Tue Nov 21 03:31:57 PST 2017

$ uname -a
      Linux localhost 4.14.8-300.fc27.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Dec 20 19:00:18 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ lspci -v | grep VGA
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107GLM [Quadro M1000M] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

$ lsmod | grep -E “nvidia|acp”
      nvidia_drm 45056 4
      nvidia_modeset 897024 7 nvidia_drm
      nvidia 13971456 431 nvidia_modeset
      drm_kms_helper 167936 1 nvidia_drm
      drm 372736 7 nvidia_drm,drm_kms_helper
      thinkpad_acpi 81920 1
      snd 77824 31 snd_hda_intel,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_hda_codec,snd_timer,thinkpad_acpi,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_pcm
      rfkill 28672 9 bluetooth,thinkpad_acpi,cfg80211
      video 40960 1 thinkpad_acpi

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep -A 5 ‘Section “Device’
      Section “Device”
      Identifier “Device0”
      Driver “nvidia”
      VendorName “NVIDIA Corporation”
      Option “RegistryDwords” “EnableBrightnessControl=1″
      EndSection

Options:
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”rhgb quiet acpi_osi= acpi_backlight=vendor”
      dmesg : thinkpad_acpi: Standard ACPI backlight interface not available
      EFFECT: about 50% bright, but no button nor software (xbacklight) can change the brightness
      clicking lenovo brightness buttons (fn+F5/ fn+F6) shows big white icons/widgets – but nothing happens;

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=”rhgb quiet acpi_osi=!! acpi_backlight=vendor”
      dmesg: N/A ( no backlight message)
      dmesg: input: ThinkPad Extra Buttons as /devices/platform/thinkpad_acpi/input/input9
      EFFECT: xbacklight works, buttons do not

3. changing acpi_backlight to anything else causes troule with reboot, plus no means of changing the brighness (i.e. xbacklight does not work)

11. It did not break the system, but it did not display 4K.

[[email protected] LogIn]# nvidia-installer -v |grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 387.34 ([email protected])
      [[email protected] LogIn]#
      [[email protected] LogIn]# uname -a
      [[email protected] LogIn]#
      [[email protected] LogIn]# lspci |grep -E “VGA|3D”
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF116 [GeForce GT 545] (rev a1)
      [[email protected] LogIn]#

I have a very detailed check of my installation, to long for this post. If if-not-true-then-false.com wants it please email me. NO SPAM please!

12. This post saved me from throwing my laptop out the window, or worse, running nouveau drivers with a 400 dollar nVidia card. Guys, I’m not running Linux for political reasons. I run Linux because it sucks less than Windows or MacOS. I want the best software possible, I don’t care if it’s open source, closed source, proprietary, etc. I just want it to work as well as possible.

Sites like this that seem to understand it’s about getting the apps you need and setting up your system to work the way you need it to work and understand that doesn’t always happen with FOSS are a real reason for Linux survival. Above all, you need the software you need.

Thank you! This has to be the best Fedora site on the net. I hope you keep going forever!

Kind Regards,

Bill

• Hi Bill,

And thank you for your nice words! It’s nice to hear that you like this site and it’s been useful to you.

Thanks,
        JR

• Hi JR! I am glad you are reading the comments. You are doing a wonderful, wonderful service for the Fedora community.

I hope you don’t mind but I’m having a problem and I don’t know where to turn for help. It looks like the nVidia situation with F27 is not so great. Everything has been working pretty well but when I started the laptop this morning I got to the gdm login screen and saw my user id, entered my password, and then got the BSOD (in our case black screen of death). I tried restarting several times, exactly the same thing happened.

So I changed grub to log into the command line (appended 3) which is actually something I prefer anyway, and doing it this way and issuing startx when I want the graphical environment works.

I don’t understand much about this new linux with systemd, gdm and all that stuff since I have been using SysV based Linux without gdm for over a decade. How is it possible that this situation is happening? And how can I troubleshoot it?

My videos are stuttering and I don’t know how to go about resolving that either. Searching the net it looks like this is a real problem with nVidia drivers lately. Mplayer, youtube, everything stutters. This is a fast box (i7700k, Quadro M3000M) with plenty of RAM. Youtube and mplayer run great on my tablets. Any suggestions?

I have posed a few questions on ask fedora but they’re closed by the admin saying they’re duplicates. Unfortunately, the brain surgeons over there don’t send links to the posts they feel are similar/identical and I didn’t find them by searching the site, so I’m back to square one.

Thanks again,

Bill

• Hi Bill,

Let’s start debugging with some basic information, if you could post output of following commands (example to https://pastebin.com):

journalctl -b --no-pager _COMM=gdm-x-session

lspci -nn

nvidia-installer -v |grep version

uname -a

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*

And then some info what monitor(s) you use and and how they are connected?

• Thanks Bill,

Have to say that this looks like incredible laptop.

All looks good, could you try to reproduce the problem/boot and then post your xorg log:

journalctl -b --no-pager _COMM=gdm-x-session

## OR output from the previous boot rather than the output from the current boot ##

journalctl -b-1 --no-pager _COMM=gdm-x-session

Or if you have /var/log/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/Xorg.1.log files then, their content.

And output of following lspci command:

lspci -nn

Thanks!

• Hi JR,

Thank you. The problem is when it locks up on GDM boot I can’t break out of it. I have to power off the machine hard. So far no data loss but I guess it can’t be good for the filesystems.

I will have to try it when I get some time, for now here is the output of lspci -nn and the Xorg.*.log files.

Did you mean for me to post the Xorg.log files after the issue? If so I’ll get them again later.

Thank you!

Bill

• Also, after the latest kernel upgrade, Xorg doesn’t start. It says no screens found. I guess dkms didn’t rebuild the nVidia drivers.

I am running temporarily on the previous kernel.

How should I fix this? Do I simply run the nvidia installer against the new kernel while having it booted? dkms command? or…?

Thanks,

Bill

• dkms status says the nvidia driver is installed in the latest kernel.

So as usual I have no idea what’s going on :(

Bill

• Hi Bill,

Yes, try to run installer again. You can also update to latest nVidia 384.111 version. I checked your logs and looks like drivers are loaded sometimes ok and sometimes “no screen founds”.

• Hi JR, thanks, I am running 384.111 on the new kernel and it works ok. What a relief…

I have not gotten back to trying to deal with the gdm issue. I will check videos later on to see if the stuttering is still there. Do I have to pass any command line parms to vlc or mplayer, or do they automatically use the nvidia driver and card?

Bill

• Hi JR,

I tested the gdm issue today since the 384.111 driver installed ok on the latest kernel. I temporarily removed the 3 on the linux grub line.

It boots to gdm and I get the normal screen showing the list of userids to select. I selected one, I entered my password in the dialog, and then the fans started racing on a black screen. This is the same as before. Ever since installing the nVidia drivers I cannot use gdm. Could not shut it down without holding the power button down. Three finger salute, ctl-alt-bksp, nothing worked.

I am ok with it, I don’t like gdm anyway and use the command line for a lot of stuff and learned long ago it’s not a great idea to set up a default setup that tries a graphical login due to situations just like this. But I guess it should work if somebody wanted it to.

I ran the journalctl you listed, both current and -1 and no output. The Xorg.log looks promising though. Here on pastebin:

youtube, mplayer and vlc still stutter on videos. I have no idea what the story is here or how to fix it. Sucks!

Thank you!

Bill

• Hi Bill,

There is some problem with ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface), this might cause your problem when you try to login Gnome from GDM. What if you try some another DM, like LXDM, KDM or XDM, is it still same? This situation with GDM is not normal and it should work without black screens.

You could try to enable VDPAU with mplayer using this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MPlayer#Enabling_VDPAU

• Thanks for the help and the link to the archlinux site. That is a very good site. I was not able to reply at the correct point in the thread. There was no reply button.

Bill

13. Hey! I am trying to install the 384.98 latest from Nvidia website together with kernel 4.14 and after disabling the secure boot and installing successfully the driver, the X11 does not start. It freezes with black screen with a cursor… :(
      I do init 3 && init 5 and nothing. Do i need to patch that oficial driver too? I tried using the same process that is explained here, but it does not work. Gives the Hunk error patching.. besides que nv-linux.h library is in a different directory in 384 version…
      My card is a 1060 Mobile. Alienware 15 laptop.

• Hi fortesp,

You don’t need any patch currently for latest drivers. So problem is something else, maybe nVidia Optimus? Could you post output of following command:

lspci |grep -E "VGA|3D"

• 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
          01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile] (rev a1)

• Is it possible to disable nVidia Optimus/Intel Graphics from BIOS/UEFI?

• I don’t see any option to do that, no option about any of the two cards in BIOS.

You think its a conflict between the two of something?

Another thing that’s probably related is that if i try to run any Fedora live image when it tries to fire X11 it hangs with the error similar to “kernel: BUG: soft lockup – CPU#3 stuck for 23s!”… EXCEPT for the Fedora spin with Compiz live image. That is the only image that actually fires X11 and the desktop.

If i try ubuntu :(? it works…, but i didn’t install manually… although some games just crash X11… but that’s probably another issue…
              So much for having a loaded laptop..

• I guess nvidia drivers not getting along with wayland is accepted reality at this point. Can you choose the 3rd gnome option after you click your userid and before hitting enter after your password? There’s a little gear icon on Fedora 27… if you select the 3rd option..sorry I can’t remember exactly what it says.. it gets you past the wayland issue.

Bill