Fedora 30/29/28 nVidia Drivers Install Guide - Comment Page: 87

This is guide, howto install nVidia proprietary drivers on Fedora 30/29/28/27/26/25/24/23 and disable Nouveau driver. This guide works with GeForce 6/7/8/9/200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/10/20 series cards. GeForce 20 series cards works with 410.xx, 418.xx and 430.09 BETA nVidia drivers GeForce 600/700/800/900/10 series cards works with 390.xx, 410.xx, 418.xx and 430.09 BETA nVidia drivers GeForce 400/500 series cards works with 390.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 8/9/200/300 series cards works with 340.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 6/7 series cards works with 304.xx nVidia drivers [inttf_post_ad1] This is totally different guide than my earlier guides, like Fedora 20 nVidia...

2,315 comments on “Fedora 30/29/28 nVidia Drivers Install Guide - Comment Page: 87

1 85 86 87 88
    1. How to safely update a Fedora 29 system with this NVIDIA driver setup to Fedora 30? Any extra steps necessary?

2. Great HOW-TO! Thank you very much.

[[email protected] ~]$ nvidia-installer -v | grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 418.56
      [[email protected] ~]$ uname -a
      Linux localhost.localdomain 5.0.9-200.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Apr 22 00:55:30 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      [[email protected] ~]$ lspci |grep -E “VGA|3D”
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 980] (rev a1)

3. Great guide, man! Finally stopped my screen flicker. Thanks! Keep up the good work!

[[email protected] ~]$ nvidia-installer -v | grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 418.56
      [[email protected] ~]$ uname -a
      Linux colossus 5.0.9-200.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Apr 22 00:55:30 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      [[email protected] ~]$ lspci | grep -E “VGA|3D”
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] (rev a1)

4. That DRM and signed code got me..
      only realised when I check the dmesg.

5. Succeeded!

nvidia-installer -v |grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 418.56

uname -a
      Linux localhost.localdomain 5.0.9-301.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Apr 23 23:57:35 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lspci |grep -E “VGA|3D”
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1080] (rev a1)

6. Thank you very much.

###

nvidia-installer: version 430.09

Linux localhost.localdomain 5.0.10-300.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Apr 30 16:22:12 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

2d:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP102 [GeForce GTX 1080 Ti] (rev a1)

7. Hi,
      First of all, thank you for your post.
      I am having trouble with my installation. It was working fine until I upgraded to Fedora 30 and Kernel 5.0.10-300. I have two NVS 510 to support eight monitors, and I have tried with drivers 415.27, 418.56 and 430.09.
      I have also tried with kdm and gdm as display managers.
      If I use kdm and set up no xorg.conf file at all, I get 4 monitors working (the ones from the first NVIDIA card). If I use nvidia-settings to activate the second card and generate a new xorg.conf I get a black screen and the computer freezes :'(
      Any help will be much appreciated.
      Thanks a lot in advance!
      Raimundo

8. Hi,
      Thanks for the post.
      However, fix for libglvnd error did not work for me
      Still investigating.
      Cheers,
      Ray

9. Hi,

I followed the instructions above to disable and remove nouveau. I rebooted to runlevel 3 and ran NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.87.run but when it came up it said I appear to be running an x server or something similar and exited.

Any idea what I need to do? As it is now when I boot to graphical mode I only have VGA.

I was disabling nouveau and intend to install the NVIDIA drivers because my system wouldn’t boot after the last update Fedora 29 update which inst.alled kernel version 5.0.5-200

Regards,

JMoen

10. I patched NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.135 as per instruction but when I ran NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.135-patched.run it failed. Here are the errors in make.log:

/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/304.135/build/nv.c:3033:5: error: implicit declaration of function ‘init_timer’; did you mean ‘init_timers’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
      init_timer(&nvl->rc_timer);
      var/lib/dkms/nvidia/304.135/build/nv.c:3034:28: error: assignment to ‘void (*)(struct timer_list *)’ from incompatible pointer type ‘void (*)(long unsigned int)’ [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
      nvl->rc_timer.function = nv_kern_rc_timer;
      ^
      /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/304.135/build/nv.c:3035:18: error: ‘struct timer_list’ has no member named ‘data’
      cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
      make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:291: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/304.135/build/nv.o] Error 1
      make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs….
      ./tools/objtool/objtool orc generate –module –no-fp –retpoline “/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/304.135/build/nv-chrdev.o”;
      ./tools/objtool/objtool orc generate –module –no-fp –retpoline “/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/304.135/build/nv-cray.o”;
      ./tools/objtool/objtool orc generate –module –no-fp –retpoline “/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/304.135/build/nv-acpi.o”;
      make[2]: *** [Makefile:1566: _module_/var/lib/dkms/nvidia/304.135/build] Error 2
      NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
      nvidia.ko failed to build!
      make[1]: *** [Makefile:257: module] Error 1
      make: *** [makefile:59: module] Error 2

Anyone have any idea what need to do?

I had initially downloaded NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.87.run as that was the latest version returned when I searched for my card (GeForce GT 610). I downloaded the version in the patch instructions figuring it would work with my card. That could be a bad assumption though?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11. I was never able to get the Nvidia driver (patched or otherwise) to install but I am now able to boot into vmlinuz-5.0.10-200.fc29.x86_64. Nouveau is installed but blacklisted. I guess all I needed to do is blacklist it. I don’t do any gaming or resource intensive graphics so whatever driver it is using is good enough for me as the resolution is what I have been using for years. I have another very similar with an NVIDIA card in it and it boots 5.0.9* and I never installed any drivers on it so I knew it should have to work.

12. During step 2.8.5, I got the error, “You do not appear to have an NVIDIA GPU supported by the 480.74 NVIDIA Linux graphics driver installed in this system. For further details,…”

When I ran. lspci |grep -E “VGA|3D”, I got:
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop)
      Though I also have a geforce 1080ti, connected via a pci slot. How do I check if the MB is recognizing the 1080ti?

Thanks

13. I had a problem not described above. dpkm could not build a kernel. Rollback of gcc to version 9.0.1-0.10 from 9.1.1 helped

[[email protected] ~]$ nvidia-installer -v |grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 418.56

[[email protected] ~]$ uname -a
      Linux xambey.linux 5.0.11-300.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu May 2 14:11:38 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[[email protected] ~]$ lspci |grep -E “VGA|3D”
      06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] (rev a1)

14. Hit a snag with Fedora 30: compiler mismatch. The installer would not build, giving an error message and the path to a log file to investigate. I fixed the problem using rpmfind.net, wget and a couple rarely-used dnf flags.

The NVIDIA driver is a kernel module. Using a kernel module that has been compiled with one version of gcc alongside a kernel that has been built with another is known to sometimes cause some funky problems. At the time, I had a newer gcc installed than what was used to build my kernel. To save me from “funky problems,” the installer ended in error.

In my case, I did:

wget https://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/linux/releases/30/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/g/gcc-9.0.1-0.10.fc30.x86_64.rpm

sudo dnf install –disableexcludes=all –skip-broken ./gcc-9.0.1-0.10.fc30.x86_64.rpm

That second command downgrades stuff as needed.

Here’s what’s a little funny though: the compiler used to build my most-up-to-date kernel was not available for download by dnf. I needed gcc.x86_64 9.0.1-0.10. That was not listed by:

dnf list –showduplicates gcc

I had to manually get the package off rpmfind.net.

Anyhow, I became aware that the error was due to compiler mismatch by skimming through the log mentioned in the log mentioned in the error message (in a hole in the bottom of the C). Supposedly, setting either the CC or IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH environmental flag to the right value would have fixed the problem. I tried both without success. It was downgrading my gcc that fixed it.

I’ve used your guide for years. My experience of the whole thing has been that it usually works really well but eventually DKMS breaks after some kernel update (having survived many previous kernel updates). When that happens, I’m greeted by a blinking white underscore in the upper-left of my screen after my next boot-up. And that’s how I become informed that DKMS broke. That’s my cue to hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 and download the new NVIDIA driver with wget. I type the URL manually, which I get off my phone, being sure to put an “https://” in front – emphasis on the “s” in “https”. Or, I boot into an older kernel, download with my web browser and reboot.

Usually, such brokenness occurs when a Fedora release is new, which is why some folks wait until a release has been out for a couple months before upgrading.

15. Success! I did have one deviation: the installer had an error with DKMS, so I had to rerun it with No at that option.

nvidia-installer: version 418.74
      Linux localhost.localdomain 5.0.13.300.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 6 00:39:45 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU106[GeForce RTX 2070 Rev. A] (rev a1)

1 85 86 87 88