Fedora 30/29/28 nVidia Drivers Install Guide - Comment Page: 93

This is guide, howto install nVidia proprietary drivers on Fedora 30/29/28/27/26/25/24/23 and disable Nouveau driver. This guide works with GeForce 6/7/8/9/200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/10/20 series cards. GeForce 20 series cards works with 418.xx, 430.xx and 435.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 600/700/800/900/10 series cards works with 390.xx, 418.xx, 430.xx and 435.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 400/500 series cards works with 390.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 8/9/200/300 series cards works with 340.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 6/7 series cards works with 304.xx nVidia drivers [inttf_post_ad1] This is totally different guide than my earlier guides, like Fedora 20 nVidia driver...

2,496 comments on “Fedora 30/29/28 nVidia Drivers Install Guide - Comment Page: 93

1 91 92 93 94 95
    1. I love you!

Everything working perfectly

nvidia-installer: version 430.40
      Linux localhost.localdomain 5.1.20-300.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jul 26 15:03:11 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1080] (rev a1)

2. It doesn’t work. I get:
      Unable to load the ‘nvidia-drm’ kernel module

nvidia-installer: version 430.40

Linux fedora 5.1.20-300.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jul 26 15:03:11 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)

01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] (rev a1)

• Hello Simsim,

Do you have Secure Boot enabled on your BIOS/UEFI? If yes, then try to disable it and try again.

• Hi mircea,

You have to give it running permissions using chmod -x command. Real problem is your nVidia drivers version. I really don’t know where you have find 285.03 version? It’s not supported on any current Fedora kernel.

3. Hello everyone!
      I installed the ‘NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.107-kernel-5.1-patched’ driver, but now I’m unable to play videos. It says “there’re missing codecs, yet I have all my codecs installed. Not even VLC can open video files now.

I hope you can give me a hint as of what I did wrong. Thank you very much.
      ———
      nvidia-installer: version 340.107 ([email protected])

uname -a: Linux minkun.mydomain.com 5.1.20-300.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jul 26 15:03:11 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

lspci |grep -E “VGA|3D”: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)

• Hi KMinamoto,

Unfortunately nVidia 340.107 drivers not get any real updates. This is quote from nVidia site:

The Linux 340.* legacy driver series is the last to support the G8x, G9x, and GT2xx GPUs, and motherboard chipsets based on them. Support for new Linux kernels and X servers, as well as fixes for critical bugs, will be included in 340.* legacy releases through the end of 2019.

Maybe video problem(s) is not critical bug for them. What nVidia card you use?

• Same codecs problem with same 340.107 drivers and an slightly older kernel 5.0.14-200.fc29.x86_64 for a GeForce GTX 650.

Kinda solved with a flatpack vlc installation: can play videos by heating CPU instead of GPU.

4. Hi, I always run into a problem. After the dracut step and the reboot, in the boot process my system crashs. the message is that root, swap and fedora_localhost… did not exist and I must regenerate them. Can anyone help me?

• Hi Jannusch,

Is it possible that you run dracut command with some typo or your config files had some typo? I have tested this hundreds of times and I am very sure that it should work.

• Hi JaffoG,

Please update your drivers to nVidia 390.129 version and try again.

5. Patched 5.1 390 .run file failed to work with kernel 5.2.

6. Thank you very much for keeping this page up to date! I have found that I now have to download new “NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.129.run” file from NVidia. And it worked with new kernel 5.2.5!

7. Installation worked, but i can’t open the NVidia X Settings dialog, it just bombs out immediately. Using the KDE spin of Fedora, not the default Gnome one.

nvidia-installer: version 430.40

Linux vlad.localhost 5.2.6-200.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Aug 5 13:20:47 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Mobile)
      01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GLM [Quadro P2000 Mobile] (rev a1)

glmark2 also scores lower with the NVidia driver and the Quadro than with the stock Intel Graphics, but it did show a lot of errors in the console.

• Hello Jan,

I’m not totally sure that is Quadro P2000 Mobile really supported? Quadro P2000 is supported, but is this something like nVidia Optimus style setup?

Is it possible to disable Intel Graphics from BIOS/UEFI?

8. thanks mate,

I had a problem with kernel headers as dnf was installing a different version of the source tree, so had to install proper version based on urname -r outcome

9. nvidia-installer: version 435.17

Linux darkstar 5.2.8-200.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Sat Aug 10 13:21:39 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 650 Ti] (rev a1)

Your solution works fine. But too bad Fedora doesn’t make it easier to install proprietary nvidia drivers.

10. Thank you. This is a very useful writeup. There’s one suggestion I’d like to make.

“dnf install kernel-devel” will install the latest kernel’s sources, not the currently installed kernel’s sources, into “/usr/src/kernels/”.
      As a result the soft link from “/lib/modules//build” ends up pointing to nowhere and as a result of that the NVIDIA installers build of its modules fails.

A surer way to install kernel-devel is something like this:
      dnf install “kernel-devel-uname-r” == $(uname -r)”

There is no kernel-headers-uname-r but it seems installing kernel-headers does the “right thing” to begin with.

11. I’m running a GTX550 and am having random freezes about every three hours so I’m trying to give the Nvidia drivers a shot but it’s having some sort of conflict with the kernel when trying to install I think. I’ve read about other people having a similar problem and it went away when they went back to Fedora29 but I would really love to keep Fedora30. If there is any other information I can provide to help diagnose this let me know. Thank you!

• Hi Steve,

First, what nvidia drivers version you try to install? What is exact error message what you get?

12. Hello,
      does the NVIDIA driver 340.107-kernel-5.1-patched.run work also for the kernel 5.2?

Thanks a lot,

• Hello Knut,

Actually I’m not tested it yet. I can test it and let you know soon.

• I just tested it with kernel 5.2.8 and it installs and works normally.

• HI,
            THANKS A LOT!
            Then I will try it, too.
            :-)

13. $ nvidia-installer -v | grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 430.40

$ uname -a
      Linux localhost.localdomain 5.2.9-200.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Aug 16 21:37:45 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ lspci | grep -E “VGA|3D”
      02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] (rev a1)

Thanks for the tutorial, whole thing went smoothly.

1 91 92 93 94 95