Fedora 31/30/29/28 nVidia Drivers Install Guide - Comment Page: 94

This is guide, howto install nVidia proprietary drivers on Fedora 31/30/29/28/27 and disable Nouveau driver. This guide works with GeForce 6/7/8/9/200/300/400/500/600/700/800/900/10/20 series cards. GeForce 20 series cards works with 418.xx, 430.xx, 435.xx and 440.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 600/700/800/900/10 series cards works with 390.xx, 418.xx, 430.xx, 435.xx and 440.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 400/500 series cards works with 390.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 8/9/200/300 series cards works with 340.xx nVidia drivers GeForce 6/7 series cards works with 304.xx nVidia drivers [inttf_post_ad1] This is totally different guide than my earlier guides, like Fedora 20 nVidia...

2,558 comments on “Fedora 31/30/29/28 nVidia Drivers Install Guide - Comment Page: 94

1 92 93 94 95 96 97
    1. Thanks for these instructions. Worked perfectly on Lenovo P52.

# nvidia-installer -v |grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 430.40

# uname -a
      Linux p52 5.2.9-200.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Aug 16 21:37:45 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# lspci |grep -E “VGA|3D”
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GLM [Quadro P1000 Mobile] (rev a1)

2. # nvidia-installer -v |grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 430.40

# uname -a
      Linux localhost.localdomain 5.2.9-200.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Aug 16 21:37:45 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# lspci |grep -E “VGA|3D”
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti] (rev a1)

3. Hi,
      I noticed that I haven’t got the 2.8.6 prompt and so it doesn’t ask me to set NVIDIA X drivers as default so I’m thinking that it might not work with my laptop or maybe I missed something in the tuto.

• Hi,

Do you get some error instead?

4. MacBook “13 whit body 2010 GeForce 320 wents black after installation of 340.107 patched version. I followed your guidelines,
      Only chance to access machine is now via hard shutdown and reboot in save mode.
      Any ideas how to troubleshoot?
      Many thanks for your kind support in advance

• Hi Sten Dec,

I’m not sure is your macbook graphics supported. Is it just nVidia card or Intel+nVidia? Could you post output of following command:

lspci |grep -E "VGA|3D"

I have tested this with 2012 MacBook with 650M and everything works normally, but Apples hardware might still not be compatible.

5. I am getting a blank screen after install
      lspci output
      NVDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile] rev a1

uname -a
      Linux 5.2.9-200.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Aug 16 21:37:45 UTC 2019 X86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

nvidia-installer: version 430.40

• Hi A N Khan,

Is this your full lspci |grep -E "VGA|3D" output?

6. Hello world,
      I followed the instructions to install 430.40 for my mx130. After the reboot in the end of the nstructions, I checked my settings and the graphics was set to llvmpipe (LLVM 8.0, 256 bits).

• Hi Us3r,

You don’t got any errors? Please run following command to see logs and check is nVidia drivers loaded when graphical session starts:

journalctl -e _COMM=gdm-x-session

Also you can post output of following commands:

lsmod |grep nvidia

lspci |grep -E "VGA|3D"
        • Well, I got past that problem and successfully installed 43.40. The next problem I had was using OpenGL with the new driver. So after courage finding and many worst-case scenario brainstorming, I decided to update my driver to the new 435.21.

The update failed during installation to DKMS. https://ibb.co/Jk1f5Tt

As per your request, the first command came up with nothing. The second command gave this:
          00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (rev 07)
          01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce MX130] (rev a2)

• Hi Us3r,

Build fails, but do you have any extra information on /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/435.21/build/make.log ? I’m just running 435.21 with 4.2.9 kernel, so it should work. Real problem might be your GeForce MX130 nVidia Optimus device. It might work, but this guide is for normal nVidia devices (not for Optimus), check “before installation step 1.2 NVIDIA Optimus Technology”. You might get drivers installed, but you can’t run graphical environments at all, because nVidia drivers doesn’t support it, check http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/430.40/README/optimus.html for more info. Sometimes it still might work.

7. Thank you !

[[email protected] ~]# nvidia-installer -v |grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 430.40
      [[email protected] ~]# uname -a
      [[email protected] ~]# lspci | grep -E “VGA|3D”
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] (rev a1)

8. Thanks so much!
      [[email protected] ~]# nvidia-installer -v |grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 418.88

It seems to be installed, but there is not nvidia x server.

• Hi Juan De La Cruz,

What you mean nvidia x server? Do you mean graphical environment Xorg or something else…?

9. Hi there!

Several problems around here (Fedora 30 fresh install, using EFI with no legacy BIOS/boot support. No secureboot enabled):

Neither vbeinfo or videoinfo were found on my EFI Fedora installation. I can’t determine my hardware optimal screen resolution to grub2 since I can’t find those modules. I found videoinfo.mod on /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/ but I don’t have any clue about how make it available to grub2 while booting.

Despite using GFXMODE to auto, I can’t make grub2 draw properly on my ultrawide monitor. Its seems to render using 1920×1080 while my optimal resolution is 2650×1080.

Grub2 is being rendered in Full HD (maybe) but Plymouth is barely on 1024×768.

I’ve Nvidia lastest driver installed, working properly.

Can anyone help me debug this? Thanks!

10. Hi, my actual kernel is 3.10.0-1062.el7.x86_64
      Last nvidia driver bundle it’s NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.107.run
      Os Scientific Linux
      After upgrade from SL 7.6 a 7.7 , the bundle fail on make[3] Error 1
      make[2] error 2
      nvidia.ko failed to build
      make : *** [nvidia.ko] Error 1
      Unable to build Nvidia kernel Modile.
      Ok this site it’s fedora but, can anyone helpme about?

11. Hi JR,

I’m getting an error with gcc compiler version numbers that is preventing the drivers to be installed on F30 kernel 5.2.11

• Ooops! You may need to know that I’m trying to install NVIDIA drivers 390.129

• Hi Michael,

You can simply try use --no-cc-version-check when you run installer, is it working then?

• Using –no-cc-version-check didn’t change anything, but I did notice in the /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/390.129/build/make.log file that I need to:

IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1
            export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH

I ran the command again (with –no-cc…) and it worked this time. Thanks for the tip!

Mike

• Excellent nice to hear that you got it working.

Earlier NVIDIA installer versions use export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1, current versions use --no-cc-version-check.

This is normally fixed when next kernel version is build.

12. Hi,

It work for me quite good. I only had one problem with f30 and NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-435.21.run
      in the DKMS compilation. Therer was a missmatch between the gcc version the kernel was build (gcc 9.1.1) and
      my current version (gcc version 9.2.1 20190827 (Red Hat 9.2.1-1) (GCC))

It worked with when I add the option “`./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-435.21.run –no-cc-version-check“`. It looks
      like this is equivalent with “`export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1“` mentioned before somewhere.

(Downgrade gcc would also work.)

> nvidia-installer -v | grep version
      nvidia-installer: version 435.21

> uname -a
      Linux base1 5.2.11-200.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 29 12:43:20 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

> lspci | grep -E “VGA|3D”
      01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1080] (rev a1)

• Hi Stefan,

Try to add --no-cc-version-check parameter when you run installer.

13. Great tutorial. It worked, but now my second monitor cannot be detected. Can someone help me?

• Hi Pedro,

Try to open nvidia-settings, on gnome press Alt+F2 and type nvidia-settings or run nvidia-settings & on command line.

Then select X Server Display Configuration and try to setup your second monitor.

• First, thanks for help. Initially I could open nvidia-settings, now when I click on it, it doesn’t open. If I type “nvidia-settings” on terminal it appears the message “Unable to find a display on any available system”.
          The commands at the end of the post return the following result.
          nvidia-installer -v |grep version
          nvidia-installer: version 430.40
          [[email protected] ~]$ uname -a
          Linux localhost.localdomain 5.2.11-200.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 29 12:43:20 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          [[email protected] ~]$ lspci |grep -E “VGA|3D”
          00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop)

• Hey JR, I just found out that if I boot the system on the kernel 5.2.9-200 the nvidia-settings opens normally, but still doenst recognize my both monitors. And if I boot on the kernel 5.2.11 the the error above happens. Thanks again for you attention.

14. Unfortunately, both un- and installation of the patched driver 340.107 failed for Fedora 29, kernel 5.2.11 :-( The message:
      Received signal SIGBUS; aborting.

15. Thanks for this guide! A couple things:

step 2.6.2; there didn’t seem to be any /etc/sysconfig, I had to edit the file in /etc/default. (sysconfig is there now though)

I ran into the same issue as others while building DKMS.
      I updated my kernel in the process of this guide and my gcc was updated during a previous installation of wine, but I received this error using both my old kernel as well as the updated one, which I would have expected to work…
      The log, as well as other solutions online suggested setting “CC” to the version used to build the kernel (9.1 instead of 9.2) but that didn’t work for me. I had to set IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 which worked.

I installed this while getting Lord of the Rings Online set up.
      It fixed an issue with the game starting in fullscreen mode with 800×600 resolution which my monitors didn’t like. I had hoped it would help me run the game with DX10, but that is still not working, even after extra tweaking with Wine. (yeah, I need to just bite the bullet and buy a new GPU)

Otherwise things seem to be working great!
      Interestingly, nouveau is still listed as a module, even though it isn’t loaded, or even installed anymore.

[[email protected] ~]$ uname -a && nvidia-installer -v | grep version && lspci -k | grep -A3 NVIDIA
      Linux kamaji 5.2.11-200.fc30.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 29 12:43:20 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
      nvidia-installer: version 340.107 ([email protected]) Thu May 24 22:30:05 PDT 2018
      02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G96C [GeForce 9500 GT] (rev a1)
      Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. Device 7046
      Kernel driver in use: nvidia
      Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidia